Polenta is an Italian staple made from cornmeal. Ever cooked it? Ever even heard of it? I must admit, I’d have to say no to both of these questions before recently. Ok, I had heard of it, but had no idea what it was. While there are several varieties of Polenta available, Good Earth carries a delicious Bella Famiglia Heat and Serve Polenta Chub. Picture Italian cornmeal in a package resembling slice and bake cookies. Yep, that’s what we’ve got – and oh it’s good!
Recently I grilled sliced Polenta and had a feast! It makes a great appetizer or side dish and can be topped with just about anything you can imagine…..
- Slice Bella Famiglia Polenta into 1/2 inch thick pieces. Brush lightly with olive oil.
- Grill Polenta slices on medium-high heat. Cook for about 3 to 4 minutes on each side, turning gently with a spatula.
- Top each Polenta slice with your topping of choice. The possibilities are endless, but here are a few ideas:
- sliced avocado, sliced grape tomatoes, chopped scallions and capers.
- salami nuggets, tomato bruschetta, and shaved parmesan cheese.
- lump crab meat, chopped shallots, and fresh lemon juice.
Discover your own unique and savory combination – and enjoy! Or should I say buon appetito!